Ecosystems Lesson
California State Standard Grade 4: Science
California State Science Standard 2b:
Students know producers and consumers (herbivores, carnivores, omnivores, and decomposers) are related in food chains and food webs and may compete with each other for resources in an ecosystem.
Background:
our entire earth is comprised of ecosystems. every species of animal on this earth lives in an ecosystem. Therefore, there are many ecosystems that exist on earth. ecosystems consist of animals that have different classifications. These are herbivores that eat only plants, carnivores that eat only meat, herbivores that eat both plants and meat, and decomposers which aid in the decomposing process of animals and help the earth and environment. Click here to learn What is an ecosystem
Students will be learning about the different jobs that animals have in different ecosystems. They will be able to investigate these different jobs and ecosystems through the lesson, helpful links, and interactive links and resources as well. They will learn how to classify carnivores, herbivores, omnivores, and decomposers.
Computer Requirements: Audio/Video and Internet
Lesson:
Here we go students into the wonderful world of Ecosystems and all how they work. Click on the link below the picture to access the lesson
click here to access lesson
Assignment:
After completing all components of the lesson, students will use research methods and investigative strategies to research an ecosystem or biome of their choice. Students are too research the type of land in that ecosystem as well as the producers, consumers (multiple levels of consumers), as well as decomposers. The results of these findings will be written in a one page grammatically correct essay that will be written in Microsoft Word and published in Google Drive. This will be accompanied by a short five to ten slide creative power point that will also be published in Google Drive and presented to the class. Please be sure to use cyber safety and use only reputable websites and sources. NO WIKIPEDIA!
Rubric
Post:
Research one of the items that was in the still want to know section from your KWLS chart. Respond with a brief post of 100-200 words and include reputable websites as your source. Describe in depth why you wanted to learn more about this topic, why it is important, and why it is better that you have now learned it. Please also explain how you can apply this knowledge both to what we learned and in the real world.
Extension:
- Participate in this fun interactive virtual lab for modeling ecosystems. you can model your own ecosystem and read and see all about it. Virtual ecosystem lab
- Another great interactive ecology lab done through annenberg learner ecology virtual lab
Check out these Digital flashcards on ecosystems and math for fourth grade!!
Watch this Educreations video on how to round whole numbers!!
For this podcast, I read a poem by Robert Frost titled "The Road Not Taken"



I was SUCCESSFUL!!!! It was easier than I thought. I always was able to embed a YouTube video onto power point from both a mac and a PC, but I'll admit that I was worried about how I would embed a YouTube video into my blog. This was a blog that I created in 2013 for another class about ecosystems. I thought it was very appropriate to continue on with this blog since I am now a fourth grade teacher and will most likely use this blog to teach my students!!! =) Everything happens for a reason so I'm happy I chose to do ecosystems for fourth grade. On a mac I would usually find a YouTube video, copy the URL, go to youtubemp4.com and paste the URL into the box and click convert. It will be downloaded to the mac and I will drag it into my videos. Then on the power point I clicked on insert media, go to movies, and the YouTube video should be in there and you simply drag and drop. On a PC, it's very different, but much easier and less time consuming,. You would simply copy the embed code under share under the video, and paste that into a converter that it is power point when you click on insert media. It converts for you and allows it to simply show up on the slide and is ready to be played. On blogger, I simply went to insert media, clicked on insert from YouTube, typed in my search selected the video I wanted and simply clicked select or insert and it automatically did it for me with a couple clicks of the mouse. The ecosystems song video was uploaded by me today not before I promise. It was actually even easier than embedding it into power point. I hope you enjoy the blog and video!!!
ReplyDeleteI DID IT!!!! I made an educreations video on rounding whole numbers, which is what I am teaching right now actually, and it looks good aside from sloppy writing because it was my finger. Typing I guess would be better, but I like to write it as I am talking, so it seemed doable. Also I am still struggling with how to get my podcast converted to an MP3 so any suggestions would be great! =) VICTORY!!!
ReplyDelete